Georgia Power responding to outages caused by winter weather
Company reminds customers to stay safe after the storm and informed with tools and resources
ATLANTA, Dec. 8, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- As winter weather, including snow and freezing rain, continues to move across Georgia, Georgia Power is responding to service interruptions as quickly and safely as weather conditions allow. Restoration crews have been in the field throughout the day today and have restored power to more than 60,000 customers since noon. As of 10:30 p.m. Friday night, approximately 80,000 customers are without power statewide according to Georgia Power's Online Outage Map.
Georgia Power reminds customers to keep safety first during severe winter weather and offers multiple tools and resources to stay connected and informed.
After the Storm Safety Tips
- Watch for downed wires. Downed power lines may be hidden by snow, debris or fallen trees.
- Never touch any downed wire or attempt to remove tree branches from power lines – it can kill.
- Don't step in standing water or saturated ground where downed lines may be present. They could be electrified.
- Avoid chain link fences. They may be electrified by a downed line out of sight and conduct electricity over great distances.
Tools You Can Use Year-round
- Outage Alerts – Subscribe to the free Georgia Power Outage Alert service to receive personalized notifications and updates via text message.
- Outage & Storm Center – Available at www.georgiapower.com/storm, customers can visit this site to sign up for Outage Alerts, report and check the status of outages, and access useful safety tips and information. Customers can report and check the status of an outage 24 hours a day by contacting Georgia Power at 888-891-0938.
- Outage Map – Housed within the Outage & Storm Center, Georgia Power's interactive Outage Map provides near real-time information, allowing users to see where outages are occurring across the state and track estimated restoration times.
- Georgia Power Mobile App – Download the Georgia Power mobile app for Apple and Android devices to access storm and outage information on the go.
- @GeorgiaPower on Twitter – Follow @GeorgiaPower on Twitter for storm tips, outage updates, customer service and more.
For additional video tips on preparing for winter weather, visit GeorgiaPower.com/WinterPrep. The site features information on a variety of winter weather topics including Watches vs. Warnings, Staying Connected, Electrical Safety and more.
About Georgia Power
Georgia Power is the largest electric subsidiary of Southern Company (NYSE: SO), America's premier energy company. Value, Reliability, Customer Service and Stewardship are the cornerstones of the company's promise to 2.5 million customers in all but four of Georgia's 159 counties. Committed to delivering clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy at rates below the national average, Georgia Power maintains a diverse, innovative generation mix that includes nuclear, coal and natural gas, as well as renewables such as solar, hydroelectric and wind. Georgia Power focuses on delivering world-class service to its customers every day and the company is consistently recognized by J.D. Power and Associates as an industry leader in customer satisfaction. For more information, visit www.GeorgiaPower.com and connect with the company on Facebook (Facebook.com/GeorgiaPower), Twitter (Twitter.com/GeorgiaPower) and Instagram (Instagram.com/ga_power).
View original content with multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/georgia-power-responding-to-outages-caused-by-winter-weather-300569303.html
SOURCE Georgia Power
Bloomberg: Vogtle nuclear project faces tax reform setback
SA Breaking News 12/15 12:23 ET
Toshiba fulfills $3.68B guarantee to Georgia Power, Vogtle plant partners
SA Breaking News 12/14 22:47 ET
Toshiba fulfills $3.68 billion parent guarantee obligation for Vogtle nuclear expansion
PR Newswire 12/14 09:39 ET
Georgia Power assists AT&T with Project AirGig Trials to Bring Ultra-Fast Internet Over Power Lines Closer to Reality
PR Newswire 12/13 17:01 ET
Virginia board OKs Atlantic Coast Pipeline water permit but with delay
SA Breaking News 12/12 22:37 ET
2017 marks year of progress for nation's only new nuclear units
PR Newswire 12/12 12:00 ET
Georgia regulator to make Vogtle nuclear project decision by Dec. 21
SA Breaking News 12/12 10:50 ET
Georgia Power restores power to 365K customers in wake of winter storm
SA Breaking News 12/11 09:17 ET
Georgia Power restoration efforts nearing completion with power to more than 365,000 customers restored since Friday
PR Newswire 12/10 20:35 ET
Georgia Power restoration efforts to be largely completed Sunday
PR Newswire 12/10 11:50 ET